Thursday, February 10, 2011

Hiatis

After about a month hiatus I was able to sit down and write last night. It felt so good to feel those creative juices flowing. This past month for some reason when ever I sat down to write I felt like an empty vessel; a great creaking, echoing, warehouse-sized empty space. There wasn't a word or idea floating around in my mind just little dust bunnies that chased across a concrete floor with the slightest gust of wind, little whirling dust devils kicking up dust and debry.
Last night I wrote an assignment my mother gave me. She asked each of her girl's to begin a personal history activity where we start with the letter A and pick a word that starts with that letter and then write the memories we associate with that word. I did mine on 'Art'. I ended up writing 1256 words on it and then I was so juiced I went back to the Contemporary Romance and wrote 710 words. Very happy about that.
My membership to Writing.com came up for renewal this week and I have debated whether I would renew or not. I enjoy writing for contests because it takes me outside my box, I enjoy getting feedback about my writing, I enjoy reading other wonderful authors but there is alot of less than desireable writing that you have to wade through to get to the good stuff. One of the things I enjoy is the international flavor of Writing.com. I've read things from authors in Australia, Wales, Alaska, England, France and Thialand. But it costs money to be a member and I can't decide if the benefits are worth the cost. I did renew for the next 3 months by cashing in most of my 'Gift Points'. I'll see how I feel about it in three months.

2 comments:

Kaitlin Hakes said...

I think you should do it if it helps inspire you to write and helps educate you about other writers. Maybe you could look into seeing if there is a writers club in Midlothian and than you could meet with others and have it be more personal and you would not have to worry and searching through junk. It might also be more motivating since you will have someone wanting to hear what you wrote and have a deadline. Love you!!

Kaitlin Hakes said...

I think you should do it if it helps inspire you to write and helps educate you about other writers. Maybe you could look into seeing if there is a writers club in Midlothian and than you could meet with others and have it be more personal and you would not have to worry and searching through junk. It might also be more motivating since you will have someone wanting to hear what you wrote and have a deadline. Love you!!