Sunday, September 6, 2015

Yes, we're moving......again.

Kansas

You may not believe me
when I tell you this tale,
But today I got ruby slippers
in a package in the mail.

There was no return address,
just a postmark at the top,
From a little town in Kansas,
not even a whistle stop.

A town I’d never heard of,
in the middle of the state,
Halstead, north of Wichita
on the map at any rate.

Situated along the 
 Little Arkansas River bank.
I wondered who had sent the shoes,   
wondered who to thank.

I took them from the package,
watched them sparkle in the sun.
I slipped on the right shoe.
It fit like a holster fits a gun.

I pointed my toe and
swung the heel from left to right.
It glimmered and it gleamed,
it was such a pretty sight.

In the second shoe
I found something kind of odd.
A little note all crumpled up
in a small tight wad.

It wasn’t something cryptic,
not words to make you roam.
Just these five simple words,
“There’s no place like home.”

I probably should not
have said the words aloud,
As I clicked my heels together,
so smartly and so proud.

For suddenly the rolling hills
of Tennessee were replaced
With the flat plains of Kansas
and wide open space.

So if you want to visit me,
I’m in the Sunflower State.
If you’re thinking about a visit
please do not hesitate.

I can’t promise that I’ll be here
when you come, because . . .
A tornado may come along
and carry me off to OZ.


August 31, 2015

No comments: